|Posted by Joe on June 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM|
This is a guide to increase your data speeds on Sprint. This does not increase coverage nor does it promise any boost in LTE, so please don't be expecting that. This is simply aimed for 3G speeds. Thanks!
Please note that these updates are no longer available. For the latest release, please click the link below.
iPhone 5 Users:
1. Plug your iPhone into iTunes and backup the device so you won’t lose anything, just in case.
2. Download the hacked carrier update here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxmbft4nw3pb5ht/Sprint_US_LTE_14.1_Hack.ipcc
3. Once downloaded, you'll to go ahead and enable iTunes to accept custom carrier bundles, if it’s not already.
4. Windows users, you will need to open command prompt and copy then paste the following and enter it in:
64 bit: "C:/Program Files (x86)/iTunes/iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
32 bit: "C:/Program Files/iTunes/iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
Mac users you will need to open terminal and copy then paste the following and enter it in:
Mac: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool true
5. After this has successfully been entered in, click on the tab for your iPad and click “Update” or “Check For Update” while holding down the Alt/Option key for Mac users and the Shift key for Windows users. Navigate to where you downloaded the hacked carrier update file, which will be named “Sprint_US_LTE_14.1_Hack.ipcc” then select it and click Open. Now restart your device and enjoy faster speeds over 3G, and hopefully LTE.
If you encounter any problems or wish to revert back just follow the "Revert" guide below.
A guide will be coming soon! Sorry for the delay. Stay tuned and keep youself updated at twitter.com/joe012594 for the latest updates. Thanks.
1. Non-jailbroken users will need to navigate to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings and allow the device to reboot into iTunes then choose the Restore From Backup option in iTunes. That's all.
2. Jailbroken users will need to download the ipcc file below, change the file's extension from ipcc to zip, unarchive it in iFile, navigate to var/mobile/Library/Carrier bundles/iPhone, and paste the original Sprint_US_LTE.bundle folder in place of the hacked one. Once done, restart your device and you should be back to normal. If it still seems off, try resetting network settings in the settings app.
This hack enables 1x Advanced and EVDO Rev. B on the iPhone 5 enhancing EVDO 3G data speeds. Though Sprint is limited to EVDO Rev. A, the device itself becomes more open to an increased amount of bandwidth thus allowing for better throughput of data and data connection. Already intact coding within the carrier files also showed signs that Sprint has 1x Advanced support on their network. So, how knows? This may actually enable something new. Throttling code was put in place to limit users to a certain amount of bandwidth on 3G only as well and has now been removed. As for LTE, no throttling codes were put in place to limit users' bandwidth nor was any band preference coding put into place to limit users on coverage. This won't increase signal so don't expect it to like the AT&T version of this hack nor does it increase LTE as it was not limited in the first place.
This hack does NOT guarantee that you will see any dramatic changes or any change at all as certain areas are simply limited because of population density, natural features that degrade signal, and the traffic on a specific tower. If you feel this hack has not helped you, we have provided a way back to defaults, if you choose to do so.